Here we are again for the Free Jazz Blog Readers Poll for the best innovative listening experience of the year. Let me emphasise that we are not talking about the best album as such, but we will reward the band or musician who show us new paths for music to take in the future, while at the same time offering lots of joy to the listener. The list of best albums will be on a separate overview.
Here are the simple rules for the HAPPY NEW EARS AWARD 2011 :
Phase 1 - between now and December 3 - establishment of the shortlist - everyone can make recommendations for the most innovative listening experience of the year. The contributors to this blog will make a shortlist out of the suggestions. Of course you can only select the albums that were reviewed during the year on this blog.
Phase 2 - from December 4 till December 29 - everybody can vote on the shortlist of fifteen albums selected by the reviewers.
To kick-start, here is my (Stef's) recommendation for the longlist, but as said, more suggestions are welcome.
- Foton Quartet - Zomo Hall
- Lisa Ullén & Nina de Heney - Carve
- Agustí Fernández, Barry Guy & Ramón López - Morning Glory
- AMM - Uncovered Correspondence
- Jim Black, Trevor Dunn, Oscar Noriega, Chris Speed - Endangered Blood
- Darren Johnston, Aram Shelton, Lisa Mezzacappa, Kjell Nordeson - Cylinder
- Nate Wooley & Taylor Ho Bynum - The Throes
- Sei Miguel & Pedro Gomes - Turbina Anthem
- Rob Mazurek - Calma Gente
- Peter Evans Quintet - Ghosts
- Louie Belogenis Trio - Tiresias
- Thomas Heberer's Clarino - Klippe
- Joe Hertenstein, Thomas Heberer, Joachim Badenhorst, Pascal Niggenkemper - Polylemma
- Guillaume Roy, Vincent Courtois, Claude Tchamitchian - Amarco
- Vyacheslav Gaivoronsky & Alexander Ragazanov Revelation
- Scoolptures - White Sickness
- Reed Trio - Last Train to the First Station
- Bruno Duplant, Paulo Chagas & David Sait - Late Winter, Early Spring
- Kiyoharu Kuwayama & Masayoshi Urabe - From The Abolition Port
- BB&C - the Veil
- Farmers By Nature - Out Of This World's Distortions
- Fire! with Jim O'Rourke - Unreleased
- Kontra Trio - Jeux Circulaires
- Bill Dixon - Envoi
- Tarfala - Syzygy
- Satoko Fujii & Min-Yoh - Watershed
- Kaza - Rafale
- RED Trio + John Butcher - Empire
- William Parker - Winter Sun Crying
- Peter Evans & Nate Wooley - High Society
- Daunik Lazro - Some Other Zongs
- Mural - Live At The Rothko Chapel
- Benoît Delbecq & François Houle - Because She Hoped
- The Limbo Ensemble - Plebiscitu
Please share your thoughts!