A round-up of Covid related efforts from the writers of the Free Jazz Blog ... please add more in the comments.
- In lieu of a 10 concert-per-month concert series, Steve Peters of
Nonsquitur (Seattle) has commissioned new work by experimental musicians
(75 releases so far) all available free on Soundcloud.
- Tom Rainy and Ingrid Laubrock (drums/sax) have released 30 (so far)
"stir crazy" duets.
- Stephen Gauci has uploaded 19 or so "Gauci duets" between him and lots
of wonderful partners, including Matthew Shipp, Gerald Cleaver, Daniel
Carter, Wendy Eisenberg and others.
- Susana Santos Silvas’ album “the same is always different” is a work of
COVID-art. Great, intense album. You have to buy it to listen to the
complete thing. But there are two tracks on bandcamp.
- Mary Staubitz and Russ Waterhouse have curated an intriguing and often
amazing set of experimental, usually ambient music by 78 different duos (to
date) working remotely. Musicians include Thurston Moore, Greg Kelley, Zach
Darrup, Alan F. Jones, Chris Corsano, Jessica Goddard, and 72 others. All
the pieces are about 5 minutes in length and “name your price.”
- Jon Abbey's AMPLIFY was held virtually this year from March 20th to
September 29th and received 240 contributions from over 200 artists.
Contributors include Keith Rowe, Michael Pisaro-Liu, Reiner van Houdt,
Graham Lambkin, Vanessa Rossetto, Nate Wooley, Otomo Yoshihide, and many,
many others. Some people of the best music of 2020 can be found here.
- Tim Berne’s launched his sub-label 9 Donkey’s and released his first
solo album, a new David Torn album, and 8 live albums, some from groups
that have never recorded
- Cafe Oto (London) launched Takoroku, a download-only label for artists
recording while in isolation
- Experimental Sound Studio The Quarantine Concerts
- Jazzfest Berlin presented its program online, in collaboration with
Roulette in NYC
- Roulette NYC continues to present groups live on stage, streaming with
- Boston based saxophonist Jim Hobbs has updated his Bandcamp page and his previously OOP catalog is available at a discount right now